Ronald David Ashby & Associates, P.C. 210 West Baltimore Avenue Media, PA 19063-3701 610.565.2200
Ronald David Ashby & Associates, P.C.210 West Baltimore Avenue  Media, PA

Motor Vehicle Accident

This is the most common type of civil action in this Commonwealth. This involves either one, two or more motor vehicles. This may be cars, trucks and/or buses involved in the incident.

The first thing you must do is to report the incident to your insurance company as required by your policy. Next you must complete all necessary paperwork from your insurance company to explain how the incident happened. Your duty under Pennsylvania’s law is to cooperate with your insurance company as it relates to the incident.

Here are some things you need to know about being involved in a Motor vehicle accident.

At the Scene:

  1. Always call the police to record the incident.
  2. Obtain a statement from the other party or parties as to the happening of the incident.
  3. Get necessary information, driver’s license name and address and telephone or cell number, along with the driver’s license number, insurance information including the company, the policy number and date of expiration.
  4. Locate and identify any and all witnesses to the incident, get their name and address and telephone or cell number of all witnesses and a statement from the witness even if it is not beneficial to you.
  5. Identify all injuries to anyone injured at the scene, obtain.
    • What type of injury they have.
    • Any statement they may give about that injury.
  6. Document all information as soon as is possible.






  1. If you believe you have been injured or if you have pain, immediately see a doctor or take yourself to the emergency room at a local hospital.
  2. You must comply with all instructions given to you by a physician and/or medical provider about your condition. 
  3. You must take all prescription medication as prescribed or it may not give you the benefit as was anticipated. 
  4. You must do rehabilitation as prescribed both in regards to the amount and the number of times.




Keeping Records: 

  1. You should obtain a hard cover sewn copybook and keep the following information in the book:


a.)   How you feel on a daily basis;
b.)   How often you are taking medication on a daily basis;
c.)   Your date, time and what occurred at your doctor’s visit;
d.)   Date, time and what occurred at your physical therapy visits;
e.)   A level of pain based on a 1 to 10 scale; 
f.)    Any and all limitations of your social or married or domestic life which have occurred because of the injuries and what you did as a result of those limitations.



  1. Does the other party have full or limited tort insurance coverage?
  2. Do I have full or limited tort insurance coverage?
  3. Do I have underinsured benefits?
  4. Do I have uninsured benefits?
  5. Am I allowed to stack my policy?